Safety -vs- Instant Gratification

Over the last week or so in wake of the death of Beverly Carter, an Arkansas Real Estate Agent, I've found myself thinking more and more about personal safety. In my reflections of past meetings with customers I have found that I, like Beverly Carter, have taken for granted my safety and well being.

With today's online availability of homes on the Internet, people looking to purchase often call a Real Estate Agent and immediately want to see the house that they have already viewed online. Because of the instant access that is granted to the public via websites like Trulia, Zillow or even Homes.com, many home buyers view Real Estate Agents as nothing more than a way in the door, a key of sorts.  I know that as an Agent one of my immediate thoughts when receiving an online lead from a home buyer is to be as accommodating as I can be to their needs.

While I would love to say that I have never met someone at a home without meeting him or her first, I can not. Having said that, I question myself, question my previous actions. But why? What would cause me to react to a customer's request that I have never met? Why would I, at times, not immediately think of myself first?

In truth, my thoughts have led me to simply one answer: I want to make you happy. This is a good quality which logically allows me to be successful in my profession. But at the same time it is a quality which hinders personal safety. And while we can not allow fear to rule our decisions as Real Estate Agents, we must pause, taking a few moments before every meeting, to simply think. We must think of our own safety and value ourselves. We as human beings are far more valuable than any dollar amount that we could possibly make in a transaction.

So, the next time that you're online looking to see a house and you decide to call a local Real Estate Agent please don't be put off if he or she asks you to possibly meet first over coffee.  Maybe the Agent will suggest that you go over homes in the area on the computer at his or her office. This, trust me, is not because we Agents don't want to show you a house. It's not because we want to inconvenience you in any way. It's not because we don't value you. We as Real Estate Agents simply have to be careful. We have a very public job. Our phone numbers, names, information, work places, photos, email and so forth are all out there for everyone and anyone to see. We Agents get late night and early morning phone calls, most of the time from numbers that we don't even recognize.

With that said, if you happen to call an Agent and they seem to have a few hoops to jump through then please be a little understanding and remember: How would you feel if it were your wife, mother, sister, daughter, father, brother or son talking to a stranger for five minutes and then headed out the door to go meet them at a house? Wouldn't you rather that Agent take the time to ask you a few questions, set up an appointment, meet you and be safe?

I know I would. I know I will.


~Keasha

Comments

Popular Posts